Gov. Walz announces four weeks of tighter COVID-19 restrictions
On Wednesday, Governor Walz announced he will turn the dial back on reopening by introducing new restrictions for restaurants, gyms, youth sports, and social gatherings.
Beginning at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 21:
- In-person social gatherings with people outside your household are prohibited.
- Bars and restaurants will be take-out and delivery only.
- Gyms, fitness centers and public pools will be closed.
- Indoor and outdoor wedding receptions, parties and celebrations are prohibited.
- Adult and youth sports are on pause (college and pro sports are an exception).
- Outdoor skating rinks, ski hills, and parks are still open but indoor facilities are closed.
- Indoor entertainment venues, such as movie theatres and bowling allies, are closed
The restrictions are currently scheduled to end on Friday, Dec. 18. Walz explained that these restrictions are necessary due to the exponential growth in the state’s COVID-19 cases and deaths. He stressed that if cases continue at this rate, hospitals throughout the state will run out of capacity and personnel.
To support the small businesses that are struggling, Walz also announced an additional $10 million in Small Business Relief Grants. The money will support an additional 1,000 businesses that have applied for the grant program.